Bethlehem Center (Samaria)
26 days until REACH 2015! Today’s featured mission agency is Bethlehem Center of Charlotte (Samaria – under served communities and people)
Bethlehem Center’s Mission: To provide educational opportunities for low-income children and families to improve the quality of their lives.
Founded by United Methodist Women in 1940, the Bethlehem Center Charlotte is part of the National Mission Institutions related to the General Board of Global Ministries of the United Methodist Church.
Bethlehem Center started in the Charlotte Brooklyn community (now 1st Ward) to address the need for services for inner city children, whose parents’ income was at or below the poverty level. In 1956, after Charlotte’s Urban Renewal Program, Bethlehem Center was relocated to the neighborhoods of Southside and Wilmore where it continues to provide quality child enrichment activities for school age children and youth, and strives to develop innovative programs to improve the quality of life for at-risk families.
Today, Bethlehem Center of Charlotte provides services to more than 900 children, youth and seniors. Our programs include:
• Early Childhood Education for pre-school age children
• School Age Enrichment Program for students in grades K-12
• Family Development Programs workshops to engage parents in their children’s education
• Resident Camp: Children attend a Christian camp
• Scholarship Program: Provide assistance to students in need to attend college or trade school
• Community Outreach Initiatives: “Stuff the Bus with School Supplies,” Holiday Sharing: “Blessing Bags” & “Star of Bethlehem”
• Senior Citizens Social Clubs: Development programs including those for the visually impaired
Learn more about the Bethlehem Center at www.bethlehemcenter.org